Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

14. No subject Oct 3, 2005, 15:56 Burrito of Peace

Sometimes, Derek, I am not at all surprised by your egotism and ineptitude. Other times I wonder how you expect to be taken seriously by anyone more than a handful of croanies who are as, if not more, unimaginative and tactless as you.

You claim shadows are unnecessary and would drag your game's performance down. We both know that when written correctly, shadows place a minimal amount of overhead in to a frame render at their simplest shape, a single, flat circle.

At one point I tried to understand what you were attempting to create but found that Egosoft's version of the same idea, which is not at all a new one (as it was cribbed from Elite), was far better down with a lot less drama. X3 looks gorgeous and has very elaborate use of shadow and light. Far more so than your game. Now, before you go off on one of your puerile little rants, let's put it out in the public that you have not played X3, not even the first alpha build, whereas I have. I've also played your game. In comparison, X3 does the same idea better at less of a cost to hardware than what you claim is "required for the full effect" (see your own messageboards to count how many times you've said that phrase).

What you've built is a 6000 pound monstrosity that can barely be moved by the PC equivalent of a 700 horsepower engine. Instead of admitting that you need to refine your design philosophy or code, you ignorantly continue to slog forward. At one time, many people made constructive and polite criticisms and offered ways to help you improve your project. Instead of being professional and courteous, you threw tantrums like a 6 year old.

The gaming public "gets it" and what they aren't spending their cash to "get" is your game. You are the one who doesn't "get it" and refuses to take the time to listen to the feedback of people who could be potential customers.

I know your response will be blustering, full of childish attempts at insulting and denegrating in only the way people who are afraid to admit their ignorance can be. I am sure you'll click the post button full of your own ego and hubris.

Perhaps, in the future, you'll learn that a craftsman forges his art not just for art's sake but for the excellence in pursuing his craft.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo