Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

52. Tribes overrated Sep 18, 2005, 04:03 chili pepper

Never understood what the fuss was about with those games.

I remember thinking how much I thought those games sucked, after trying out the demos when they came out. I was disappointed to say the least.

The weapons and vehicles felt toy-like and pathetically weak. The movement was slow as molasses and nauseating. Tribes felt like playing a toy game in slow motion. After 3 or 4 hours messing around with the demos, it turned out to be an intensely dull experience to me.

The game had nothing on Quake 1/2, or any of the more modern Battlefield games for that matter. Tribes was missing what made Quake 1/2 so great, the solid movement and feel, powerful feel of the weapons, great pacing, etc.

The only thing I thought Tribes had going for it at the time was the innovation of controllable vehicles, though even that feature was poorly implemented.

The little known early predecessor of the Battlefield games, Codename Eagle for the PC (also an EA title AHHHH), for my money was a much better example of the combat/vehicles/multiplayer genre that was emerging from that period.

This comment was edited on Sep 18, 04:09.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo