Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

38. Re: No subject Jul 28, 2005, 17:21 MeatForce

in the case of investigating a planet's soil/atmosphere etc, there just is no substitute for a human (prefferably with a buggy an d a rock/soil collection bin).

Only problem with that will be finding a John Deere cap big enough to fit over the space-helmet

If maintenance, flaws in the wiring etc is such a big deal with the shuttle, why not take its general design, upgrade where possible, keep the same shape / idea, and build with 2005 technology rather than mid 1970s technology (not that that's currently so much better, but hey), to tidy it over until the next thing rolls off the assembly line. Seriously?
There is SO MUCH worry over the state the shuttles are in, that they have to be retired by 2010. If my car dies, I buy a new one. I don't ditch it and then wait for mankind to come up with an alternative mode of transportation. Get my gist?

EDIT: Keep in mind that they are the most complicated machines ever built; IIRC, a shuttle has more than 6 million moving parts.

I'm not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that they're not exactly assembly-line goods either ..which I also realise isn't what you were implying

My point is that I don't really blame them for being reluctant to give up on such a device. (I think)
-----
I actually get paid for this..
This comment was edited on Jul 28, 17:44.

-----
I'm not even angry. I'm being so sincere right now, even though you broke my heart and killed me.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo