Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

82. Re: Unreal Engine Fees May 12, 2005, 13:29 Creston

Sigh. The bus transfer rate is completely and utterly irrelevant since that speed is only sustained for a few milliseconds before the whopping-huge 2-16 MB of cache runs out of data and has to fetch from platter again.

The sustained transfer rate of drives has not gone up dramatically in the intervening time -- back then it was around 40 MB/s for the fastest drives. Now it's around 70 MB/s for the fastest drives (71.8 for a 10K WD Raptor or 69.8 for a 400GB Seagate SATA) -- that's at the beginning of the disk. At the end of the disk it's considerably worse.

A) You'll notice, perhaps, that I said in my original post although drives don't sustain that transfer rate
Perhaps next time I will post it in big bright colors.

B) (70Mbs-40Mbs)/40Mbs = 75% speed increase. Yeah you're right, that really didn't gain any speed at all.

Creston

This comment was edited on May 12, 13:33.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo