Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

33. Re: depends Apr 29, 2005, 15:39 Milkman Dan

There are many reasons that steam sucks. If you don't think it sucks, you must not play that much. About everyone only bitches about it at one time or another, I don't think I have EVER heard I love steam from someone playing.
Here's a couple of examples why it does:

1. If you aren't connected to the net, you can't play single player. I only wanted to play HL2 if I had no other choice for games most the time. If I couldn't play games online, I couldn't also play HL2. In fact, I didn't get that deep into trying to fix it from what I read in forums, that you had to disable all your networking in somecases just to get offline mode to work for HL2. I tried to get it to work somewhat, but, without being able to get online to see how to work around it made it even worse.

2. If you have mulitple copies of the game, you have to have a different mail address for each game. I have 5 copies of HL1. I have to have 5 different email accounts now, or they all get absorbed into the 1 email account. Pain in the ass.

3. Friends is worthless. The idea is a nice one, granted, but I have never seen this piece of shit work for an entire week, ever. It will also not register people that ARE on friends at times.

4. The steam autoupdate feature can bite you in the ass.
A couple of weeks ago, when steam autoupdated people as they got on, it made them incapable of staying on a server for more than 5 seconds before timing out. I was admining our clan server, saw people connecting and timing out as soon as they connected. I wasn't head admin, so I couldn't do anything to update the server. It was happening on many other servers as well. Until the server themselves got updated, it made anyong getting on that night screwed for playing CSS.

I am sure there are many more examples, but I feel the negatives outweigh the benefits.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo