Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

57. In-House Sep 10, 2004, 03:13 Zombi Z

(Assuming DNF does exist, this may be a flawed line of thinking, but here's hoping we can shoot off George B.'s fingers in an in-game gag as I have put money into this game a few times now and for some reason can't cancel a particlular EBGames preorder going to some rustic apartment in Fayetteville, AR - feliz navidad ye' silly fuqs.)

Forget the Quake Tech rumor. It's still the Unreal engine. Kind of.

Let's look at MoH: Allied Assault and MoH: Pacific Assault. The foundation is Quake, the result being an almost complete rewrite which handles a much higher polycount plus projected textures and other shaders much better than AA handled it's significantly lighter load. That, or, Allied Assault doesn't play nice with Tripple Buffering, and chugs at 1280x and even 1024x even on my RADEON 9700 Pro for no good reason other than pushing too much geometry through a then-three-year-old engine.

Now, Half-Life. The foundation is again Quake, the result was, well, Quake with improved dynamic lighing, a goofy (I've seen the code) chrome effect first seen in ritual's SiN, and some specular work as well. But, VALVe had a lot of experience with rendering over the past few years with HL2's dev cycle and came up with something quite spiffy on their own.

I imagine 3DRealms has essentially done the same with Unreal Tech and as Direct3D far from sucks now, would be nice to see in action.

This comment was edited on Sep 10, 03:14.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo