Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

46. Just a thought Aug 28, 2004, 20:08 MajorGeeks

Regarding the way they are pre-loading games now compared to the old school way of distributing a full demo on CD that can be unlocked. Once the CD is out, like Quake for example, thats it if your going to allow it to be unlocked. Everything has to be on the CD. With the popularity of internet, especially broadband thats all changing. With the pre-load concept, you can offer people a chance to download it in bits and pieces over a period of weeks and leave a few critical files out. Easier for modem users and on their own servers for gigantic releases. This way, you can pre-load all the files that are large like movies and images and save a few important, but critical files that would require the programmers knowledge, for last, which are downloaded only when you pay for it.

Hated Steam at first, still have some things I dislike, like the lack of online server browsing options thats 5 years behind the curve, but love it or hate it, I think it will someday be looked at as genius by companies selling a lot of games and considered the norm by us. I can see EA or Activision or other large game companies wanting in on a deal like that and using it as a selling point to companies who's games they distribute. Time will tell....

http://www.majorgeeks.com

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo