Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

127. Re: American Aug 14, 2004, 23:54 Sepharo

Here are the centers resgistered with iGAMES.

http://www.igames.org/FindCenter.asp

Just simply go to the find center drop down in the top left corner and click a state. Just for reference I count 22 in Illinois, 18 in Michigan and 80 in California. Also in the least populated state in the country, Wyoming, I count 5 gaming centers registered with iGames. Remember that in the past all these LAN centers had to do to keep the developers and publishers off their backs was buy a copy of each game for each computer[*]. Imagine how many unique HL cd-keys have been purchased for these thousands of LAN centers across the U.S. and world. Now imagine being an owner and after paying for this game that is now 6 years old being asked by the developer to pay a monthly fee based on how many and how often the game is played at your location. It is ridiculous. I could understand maybe, just maybe, if a game was coming out brand spanking new and the developer/publisher requested that LAN centers pay a monthly fee to allow access to the game. That might make a little sense. But for a game that's 6 years old. Sounds like Valve is trying to suck the profits out of gaming centers that helped establish their game as the most played, most competed [tourny's and such] in the first place.

http://www.igames.org/Top20.asp Watch it fall day by day after ruling for 6 years. Good job Valve as you help kill your game. Better get the newest iteration of it out quick before you disappear from stupidity.

* Even this is changing, a few publishers including Microsoft, NovaLogic, EA, and Ubisoft are giving their games along with licenese free to gaming centers to help promote themselves. Meanwhile Valve requires a unique purchase of each product and monthly licensing fees.
This comment was edited on Aug 15, 00:29.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo