Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

81. Re: No subject Aug 3, 2004, 09:44 kanniballl

What I really want to see is the current generation of video cards (hopefully including something that's in the $250 price rane) compared against the old crap cards like what I'm looking to replace. Such a chart would give me a better impression of what the benefits of upgrading to. But no, instead they pit all the latest generation cards against one-another, and run the tests on the brand new alienware box that fedex j

Jim, check again. They go back to a P4 2.4 and AMD XP 2500+. They even go back to an ATI 9600XT (maybe earlier), and the 9600XT isn't really much faster than a regular 9600 (it costs less than $200 USD).

The [first "benchmark" was worthless. They tested only with like a 3.6 and 3.2 GHz CPU and nothing lower than a 9800 XT. The second benchmarks was very broad, more-so than I would have expected from any site.

Sure, it would have been "nice" to see them benchmarks a ti4600, but they didn't. Fortunately, an ATI 9600 is only slightly faster than a ti4600, so you can gauge it that way. It looks like that card will only handle medium quaility (high might be pushing it), and 800x600 or maybe 1024x768 for decent frames per second.

Keep in mind, only the slower CPU's are tested against the slightly older video cards. In all, there were like 10 CPU's, each with around 5 video card combinations (new CPUS = new gen of cards, older CPUs = older gen of video cards).

A P4 2.4GHz isn't exactly slow, but it's not bleeding edge either. You can build a P4 2.4 or AMD 2500+ w/ ATI 9600XT for pretty damn cheap. I think the AMD CPU is like $80USD (maybe $100 USD).

Sure, more benchmarks for CPUs below 2GHz would have been nice (they do offer a benchmark of a 1.5GHz though), and more of the older video cards (ti4600 and Geforce 4 MX). But their second benchmark hardly focused on "$3000+ USD gaming rigs."

Pentium 4 3.06 GHz w/ Hyperthreading + 533 MHz FSB
1024MB DDR2100 Crucial RAM
PNY Verto GeForce 6800 GT
Windows XP Pro
SB Live! Value
Viewsonic 17" VP171b LCD
This comment was edited on Aug 3, 09:50.

"Space. It seems to go on and on forever. But then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you."
-Fry, Futurama

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo