Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

123. Re: No subject Jul 12, 2004, 09:43 Tigger

But instead, he oversees a mere niche product, and only one at that...It's really a sad shame.

I hate to beat a dead horse...

Regardless of genre, games that we play are all expansions or improvements to ideas that have been around for a long time. Modern FPS games were all born from the original Wolf3D. RPGs got their birth from the D & D and the like. Both of these genres have been improved upon and reinvented many, many times. We call that improvement or reinvention 'the standard' by which we measure games of that type.

Then along comes UC. Universal Combat is a combination of several different genres of games. The problem is that each of these genres have been developed over time; ideas expanded on, new ideas implemented, etc. The combination of them all has not.

Regardless of how I feel about Derek personally, I think that Universal Combat could have been a great game if he had stuck to what he is good at - making space sims. Derek's problem is that he doesn't take criticism well and therefore won't be able to improve his games beyond his own vision.

Ultimately, it's not about what we think should be created but what the end-user thinks should be created. After all, those of us in the computer industry are here to serve the end-user.

--
Tigger
"It's not the years, it's the mileage" ~Indiana Jones

This comment was edited on Jul 12, 09:48.

--
Tigger
Vic Fontaine for President

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo