Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

12. The truth is... Jun 24, 2004, 13:24 Some Dude

Taldren died in September of 2003 when Majesco pulled the plug on development of Black9 because the game was going nowhere. It was technically feature complete but completely lacking anything like content. The CEO insisted on "designing" the thing, but he sort of forgot to actually design a computer game while he was busy coming up with character and universe backgrounds. Oops. So in September Majesco cut off funding, and Taldren laid off the development team. In all honesty it should have been cancelled a lot sooner. There was no saving Taldren, but a job or two at Majesco might have been saved.

Shortly thereafter Taldren rehired a handful of folks (and one or two new people) to work on content/expansion type stuff for some Korean MMO whose name escapes me. That didn't work out either, and again the company ran out of money. Apparently, this time, for good.

All the while Taldren never came out and said any of this, which kind of puzzles me. The "announcement" they made a few months ago about development on Black9 being "on hold" was both very late and only a splinter of the truth. The truth being, all that went away long before they (sort of) admitted to it.

I know all this because I worked there from 2000 until they laid us off in September of 2003, so if anyone is thinking of arguing with me on the subject (again) you can just keep your trap shut

There were a lot of good people on that team. As for myself, I had a shiny new gig less than a month after Taldren died the first time so don't cry for me. But I felt especially bad for some of the kids who came in for what was their first gig only to get canned a few months later. I ran into some of them at E3, though, and I'm absolutely delighted to say that at least a few have since found employment elsewhere in the industry.

In closing, I'll just say it's hilarious to me that Bethke's book about how to run a game company was published not very long before he drove his game company into the ground.

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo