Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Report this Comment
Use this form to report the selected comment to the moderators. Reporting should generally be used only if the comment breaks forum rules.

87. Re: No subject Dec 9, 2003, 18:57 Istari

Miles,

Fair points re: the gaming audience.

However, I would answer that I would "ignore that market" because there are already so many people fighting for a share of that pie. There are dozens of short, "accessible" (or "streamlined" to use Ion Storm's new phrase) games already in the marketplace, aimed at the casual player. Any new game has to compete with all the dozens of titles out there already. How many serious, deep PC games have come out recently? Seems like there's a market niche waiting to be exploited.

Second, I'm not sure about that 80% figure. If I recall, PC gamnes are about 27% of the market, and remember that the remainder of the market in consoles is divided up among several players. It's not like there's some monolithic Console(tm) out there that singlehandedly captures 73% of the market. PC and X-Box market are about the same in market share.

I'm granting you the underlying premise - that the console market is larger than the PC, and has been faster growing in recent years. Yet I think the case is overstated too often. Break down those numbers, and it's not quite as bad as people think.

Istari

Subject

Optional
Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

footer

Blue's News logo