Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Planet Half-Life - Expecting Too Much?
The bottom line with any type of game, whether itís professional or amateur is, itís being made for your enjoyment with a lot of hard work being put into it. You arenít guaranteed a single thing, so stop acting like the developers who make these products work on your unrealistic schedules and concede to your overly-ambitious goals. They donít. There will always be a better development team that can produce something that looks nicer, but those less-than-perfect products may be a thousand times more fun, and youíd know this if you didnít judge a book by its cover.

Gamesquad.com - Captain, Report to the Bridge.
Personally, I believe gaming is all the poorer for the choice. While cockpit space sims have a lot to offer, so does the bridge simulator. There is a world of difference of being responsible for a crew of one and being responsible for a crew of hundreds; a situation that requires the need to set watches, organize boarding teams, and dispatch repair crews. Letís face it; if you die in a fighterÖyou die alone. As a bridge commander, you are not just playing with your life, but the lives of your crew. What is more, as the operation of your vessel is very much a cooperative effort, success is a warm feeling shared with your virtual cohorts. As such, bridge simulators often evoke more than a bit of role playing on the part of the player, something commonly underwhelming in most go-it-alone cockpit sims.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

1. Re: Op Ed Apr 24, 2009, 06:21 Nucas

it makes me feel old to think back to when the planet network of sites were relevant.  

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo