Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Eurogamer - Why OnLive Can't Possibly Work.
"So, let's say that Grand Theft Auto V is released via OnLive, and (conservatively) one million people want to play it at the same time. We can talk about Tesla GPUs, server clusters, the whole nine yards, but the bottom line is that the computing and rendering power we're talking about is mammoth to a degree never seen before in the games business, perhaps anywhere. There may be a way how this can be handled (more on that later), but even having capacity for 'just' 5,000 clients running at the same time is a monumental effort and expense. It would be the equivalent of us running a single Eurogamer server for every reader who connects to the site at the same time. The expense involved is staggering (not to mention the heat all this hardware would generate - think of the children!)."

Wired - In Praise of the 3-Hour Game. Thanks Mike Martinez and Techdirt.
"Forty hours might sound like a reasonable amount of play. But the truth is that very few games offer an experience that truly requires — and rewards — 40 hours of play. After all, one of the chief joys of gameplay (which nongamers tend to misunderstand) isn't in having mastered it. It's in the process of mastering it. You start off stumbling around, not really knowing what your goals are, how your enemies and obstacles behave, or the complexities of your weapons and abilities."

GameZone - Tough Cookies: Are video games too easy now?
"From the development side of things, the desire to create a game that can be easily completed by the player makes a lot of sense. These developers and publishers are pilling millions of dollars into the creation of these games, from the production of the story elements and cutscenes, to its continuation and franchise potential. If you haven’t completed the first game in a trilogy, are you usually ready to jump into the sequels? After all, if you’d only made it halfway through Star Wars, would you really give a crap about The Empire Strikes Back?"

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

11. Re: In praise of the three hour game Mar 27, 2009, 08:54 Riker

I'm happy for the Wired writer who enjoys short games, but I don't. There's a market for those people, and there's a market for my people. Deus Ex, System Shock 2, or Half-Life 2 as 3-hour games? I don't think so.

Fallout 3 did a reasonably good job in offering a great deal of game play, but people with short attention spans were welcome to only follow the main story line, which ties up relatively quickly. I think that's probably the best way to go; offer different types of experiences for different types of people.

This comment was edited on Mar 27, 2009, 08:54.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo