Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Op Ed

Thanks Mike Martinez.

Los Angeles Times - Violent video games- Who controls the joystick?
"Important as it is, the court's legal analysis doesn't identify an easy alternative for parents who are justifiably concerned about the effects of violent video games, films or comic books on their children. But the primary responsibility for protecting minors from potentially harmful influences lies with parents, as it did long before video games were a twinkle in a programmer's eye. Parents don't need a law to urge makers of video games to strengthen their current voluntary ratings systems. More important, they don't need permission from a legislator or judge to keep an eye on what their children are doing -- or playing."

Destructoid - How Valve's Team Fortress 2 character updates bring out the worst in humanity.
"As ultimately entertaining as these character updates are, however, and as much replayability and staying power they've given to Team Fortress 2 as a whole, I have to take issue with how Valve chose to implement those updates. Rather than simply giving us a reason to start playing again (or, given the current 50% off sale, a reason to buy it in the first place), Valve has for the fourth time unintentionally managed to turn their game into a wasteland of human desperation, greed, selfishness, malevolence, and irritation."

Guardian.co.uk - You shouldn't have to sell your soul just to download some music. By Cory Doctorow. Thanks Slashdot.
"Here's the world's shortest, fairest, and simplest licence agreement: 'Don't violate copyright law.' If I had my way, every digital download from the music in the iTunes and Amazon MP3 store, to the ebooks for the Kindle and Sony Reader, to the games for your Xbox, would bear this – and only this – as its licence agreement."

Edge Online - Can Games Survive History?
"'History's boring' is the kind of thing you hear from people who think their mistakes are original. When combined with other assumptions, like the idea that something on the internet can never entirely disappear, we risk being dangerously ignorant about the value of contemporary culture."

msnbc.com - Junk and jubblies sell games.
"If all was right with the world, depicting sex and sexuality in video games meant for adult players would raise nary an eye brow. After all, adults in the real world have sex. Adults in movies have sex. So why shouldn’t adult characters in video games get it on or, you know, appear in their computer-generated birthday suits?"

GotGame - Amazon Blacklists Adult Video Games.
"The big debate resembles the dilemma we often see regarding video game violence: Are they causing more harm than good (or are they good at all)? Some argue that supplying outlets for deviant impulses satiate people from going out and committing the acts in real life. Yet others believe that supporting a market for games that glorify rape only serves to perpetuate the attitude that it’s acceptable behavior."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

4. Never played Team Fortress, 1 or 2 Feb 28, 2009, 16:52 Umbragen

But I play allot of MMOs - I don't think Valve has done anything new here, as far as plumbing the depths of human depravity anyway.  
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo