Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Microsoft to cut 5,000

Microsoft will be cutting 5,000 jobs following an 11 per cent year-on-year decline in net profit, reports MCV. They say some 1,400 employees will be let go immediately, with 3,600 cuts to follow over the next 18 months, which they hope will save them around $1.5 billion a year. Microsoft is not commenting at this time whether any of these cuts will hit the Xbox operations of its Entertainment and Devices Division.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

12. Re: Microsoft to cut 5,000 Jan 22, 2009, 19:46 elefunk

If the math is right, that's 300k per person fired, according to their savings statement...somehow I doubt those folks all make even near that much in a year.

I call shenanigans, yet again on M$ B$.
There's really no way around this except outright calling you an idiot. Well, maybe if you asked the question without coming off as an asshole using "M$", but alas, your post made you sound like an asshole.

Salaries are only a fraction of the overall cost it takes to hire an employee. You have salaries. You have insurance benefits, of which Microsoft's are simply among the best available in the world. You have the free drinks at work (which is a negligible cost overall). You have subsidized food in the cafeterias. Add to that the cost for renting office space, maintaining current offices, taxes paid on offices, travel expenditures, and more.

When you put it all together - and this is no different from most any other company as well, $300k per person isn't at all unreasonable or out of the norm.

I dunno, I was living right next to MS and it wasn't just the odd one or two, the whole area is pretty much 90% Indian workers..now seriously given the unemployment rates..they couldn't find ANY american workers?
I live in this area for 7 years and seen the population change drastically to pretty much Indian. Nothing against people from any country, but it was just amazing to me to see them bring in so many workers from another country.
I live in Bellevue, right near the Microsoft campus. Maybe you're blind, or maybe you're not used to diverse populations, but saying 90% is just damn foolish. Horribly exaggerated.

Microsoft hires the people who are right for their job. Even if it *was* true that the majority (or even just close) were Indian, what of it? It's not Microsoft's social responsibility to discriminate who they hire based on race, especially in economic conditions like these. Especially when the majority of their business comes from outside of the United States. They hire the best people for the job, plainly and simply. Don't even try to pretend that their University recruiting in the United States is lacking - I constantly saw them everywhere when I was at school.

This comment was edited on Jan 22, 2009, 19:49.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo