Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Left 4 Dead Demo Only One Week

Valve announces a 10% preorder discount for Left 4 Dead for both Windows and Xbox 360, confirming yesterday's revelation of early demo access for those who preorder. The most interesting part of the announcement is word that the demo will only run for two weeks for those who preorder and one week for those who don't, saying: "The demo concludes on November 18, when Left 4 Dead will be made available at retail outlets across North America and worldwide via Steam." Here's the deal:

October 24, 2008 –Valve, creators of best-selling game franchises (Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress, and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (Steam and Source), today announced a special promotion granting those who pre-order Left 4 Dead early access to the official demo.

Left 4 Dead is the new survival action game from Valve that blends the social entertainment experience of multiplayer games such as Counter-Strike and Team Fortress with the dramatic, narrative experience made popular in single player action game classics such as the Half-Life series of games.

Early access to the demo begins Thursday, November 6 on both the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and PC. This pre-order promotion applies to all Steam PC pre-orders and all Xbox 360 and Windows-based PC pre-orders from participating retailers in North America. The demo will feature single player and co-operative modes, supporting 1 to 4 player games.

On November 11 the demo will be made available to all Xbox 360 and PC and gamers, with no obligation to purchase. The demo concludes on November 18, when Left 4 Dead will be made available at retail outlets across North America and worldwide via Steam.

This pre-order promotion is scheduled in concert with the previously announced $10 million consumer launch campaign that spans television, outdoor, print, and online advertising.

“Every time someone plays Left 4 Dead, we witness the most overwhelmingly positive reaction that we’ve seen from any of our games,” said Gabe Newell, president and co-founder of Valve. “This gives us tremendous confidence in the product and why we’ve taken the game on the road, produced this pre-launch demo, and invested more advertising dollars on the title than any prior release from Valve.”

Playable in single player, co-operative, and multiplayer modes, Left 4 Dead is one of the most anticipated releases of 2008 and winner of numerous pre-launch awards, including Best of E3 from multiple outlets.

For more information, please visit L4D.com or www.steamgames.com

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

29. Re: Left 4 Dead Demo Only One Week Oct 29, 2008, 20:42 Shadowcat

Their game, their release date, their choosing.
Well sure. I'm not saying I'm going to sue them for breach of My Almighty Gamer Rights. I'm just saying that it's a dumb decision, that will cause a lot of people not to have a proper go with it and consequently not buy it.
It's been stated for a couple months now that the game would get a demo shortly before release.
And you all understood at the time that said demo would stop functioning one week later? (As I've never heard of such a thing before in all my years of gaming, I'm voting a big "no" on that one.)
You've had plenty of time to pre-arrange something with friends
Sorry if I don't organise my life around game demo release dates. Or full retail release dates, for that matter.
if you are incapable of just playing it online with any 3 other of the thousands online that will be trying it
Unfortunately I have long since given up on the general gaming populous not being incredible dickheads online, so playing with strangers doesn't appeal much. Even if three quarters of them are fine, I'm still much happier knowing there's no chance of some illiterate thirteen year old spewing insults in my game. As such, I'm only buying this if enough of my friends are also buying it, and the best way to establish this is for us to get together and play it.

This comment was edited on Oct 29, 2008, 20:43.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo