Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue

The Far Cry 2 Forums have word that widescreen support in Far Cry 2 is actually a cropped version of the 4:3 video, reminiscent of a similar problem, or design decision, from BioShock (story, story, and story). The Widescreen Gaming Forum is all over this, as is their way, and there are hopes for a fix for the just-released first-person shooter sequel soon, official, unofficial, or both. Thanks Ant and Voodoo Extreme.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

29. Re: Far Cry 2 Widescreen Issue Oct 23, 2008, 15:02 Aero

Aero, sorry, you don't know what you are talking about.

What does the Wikipedia link have to do with anything?

What you're saying is that you want the vertical FOV for widescreen to be the same as the vertical FOV for 4:3, because you want to see more on a 16:9 screen monitor than on a 4:3 monitor. The 4:3 monitor will always show more of a 3D scene, in terms of the view frustrum, for a given horizontal FOV and the widescreen monitor will always show more for a given vertical FOV.

If you really want to see more, why not have them set the horizontal FOV to 360 degrees? Then you'll see everything around you, except of course, it will look ridiculous--severe fish-eye distortion.

The advantage of a widescreen monitor is that you can have a larger horizontal FOV without the image getting fish-eyed. The horizontal FOV is more important, because it equates more closely to human vision. So you can relax, your widescreen monitor is better than a 4:3 monitor, so you didn't waste your money.

Whether or not a given FOV is "right" or not though, is more difficult. What you really want is the maximum FOV you can get without the screen getting uncomfortably fish-eyed. Different people have different sensitivities to this, because your brain has to jimmy things around, and we've all become accustomed to less than 'ideal' FOVs.

The further you sit from a screen of a given size, the lower the FOV has to be (which is why console FPSs have lower FOVs), because of this "ideal" FOV for a given eyepoint. Imagine a line drawn from your eye to something in the 3D scene, it should go straight through the screen to end up at whatever object is there in the virtual space as though you were looking through a window. This ideal though would be too small for a normal distance from the a normal sized screen though, so we have to deal with a certain amount of fish-eye, as much as you can take, to be able to see enough in the game.

The developers keep this in mind, and choose a reasonable FOV in accordance with minimizing fish-eye while still giving an appropriate viewing angle. If you were to use the same vertical FOV as a 4:3 monitor on your wide screen monitor, the scene would become more fish-eyed.

If you can take that amount of fish-eye, that's just fine, but it isn't "wrong" to have a different FOV (given that we probably can't use the "ideal" mentioned above). You're probably sitting too close to your monitor though. You should be able to see the entire screen without having to move your eyes significantly. If you like sitting real close though, you might indeed want a larger FOV--but that's just because you like to sit that close to your screen, most people don't.

The differences between 4:3 and 16:9 has nothing to do with it. You can't look at one and then say the other is wrong. You can look at one though and say I prefer this one, that's perfectly normal. To me, the 4:3 screenshots look too fish-eyed.

In short, whatever floats your boat. I would like the FOV to be selectable too, because it always helps to be able to mess around with it to get something comfortable.

This whole "true widescreen" though is bullshit. It's all relative bud. If it were based on the 'ideal' FOV for a given setup, then I'd have to give them that one, but that would be a ridiculous FOV to actually play with unless you're playing on an IMAX (which would, of course, be fucking awesome)--they want an FOV even further from the ideal because, really, the 'ideal' is anything but for the actual practicalities of playing a computer game.

Anyways, that was a really long post. I hope I've cleared that up for you though.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo