Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ubisoft: EndWar PC Impacted by Piracy

Videogaming247 quotes Ubisoft Shanghai creative director Michael de Plater on how piracy is a reason Tom Clancy's EndWar is appearing on consoles first, with plans for a PC edition remaining vague (story). He says this of a PC version of the voice-controlled RTS game: "To be honest, if PC wasn’t pirated to hell and back, there’d probably be a PC version coming out the same day as the other two," also saying: "You know, the level of piracy that you get with the PC just cannibalizes the others, because people just steal that version." He goes on to agree with dire predictions about the impact of piracy on PC gaming: "But at the moment, if you release the PC version, essentially what you’re doing is letting people have a free version that they rip off instead of a purchased version. Piracy’s basically killing PC."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

12. Re: No subject Oct 8, 2008, 10:55 4D-Boxing

JaguarUSF

You are absolutely correct. This is just a B.S. excuse to cover up the fact that people are not interested in buying their products. I've noticed that it's mostly the same few crappy publishers that spew this nonsense over & over again. Yes Piracy is an issue but good games sell well despite piracy. Valve is not crying about TF2 being pirated neither are the WoW developers publishers etc.

Ex 1: CoD4 devs. did not implement certain basic functions to reduce piracy. The game is very good & sales where very good despite the piracy.

Ex 2: GEARS PC, the game was not very good the sales where bad same with Crysis.

Bottom line, people will buy good games & bad games get pirated to hell & back then deleted. Demos might help reduce the piracry but not by much. Like a guy said the other day on the bus, he considers most game, movies & Music albums as disposable entertainment because it's so bad that he downloads it when he's really bored looks or listens for a few hours & deletes.

I would not put my career in jeopardy by acting this way but I've heard this from multiple sources. I can't even remember the last time I went to the movies or bought a music CD... if I'm desperate, I rent a few movies or listen to old tunes on youtube.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo