Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Prince of Persia: Dancing on the Ceiling

Eurogamer reports from the Leipzig Games Convention on a new maneuver being added to the repertoire of acrobatics in the upcoming Prince of Persia game. They have given the Prince an ability to run across ceilings, not actually sticking Spider-Man style, but rather with a little assistance, though not as much as Spider-Pig, as the player must find the proper rhythm to grab elements of the roof to make this work, similar to other jumping mechanics in the game. Level designer Michael MacIntyre is quoted saying: "With this new move, our level designers had all the tools they needed to create acrobatic sequences that can use pretty much every surface in the game."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

5. Re: Spider-Pig! Aug 22, 2008, 20:38 Shadowcat

I can suspend my belief enough to watch someone running across walls but ceilings may prove too much
I also have some general concerns along those lines.

I watched a trailer yesterday which had a lot of magical bounce pads which flung the prince a long way across a level (usually towards another bounce pad), and I have to say it didn't appeal much.

I played Sands of Time (which I loved), and one of the things about the levels was that, although they are completely contrived to provide the player with this unlikely path to a destination, there is still enough of a sense that you are using your athletic prowess to make your way through a real space.

With these bounce pads, I was losing the sense that the prince was using his skills to overcome the defences of a location, and instead it really did look like him following the pre-ordained convoluted path point A to point B.

Additionally, you could invariably look ahead and figure out exactly how you wanted to progress in Sands of Time, whereas the effect of the bounce pads seemed so large and so variable that figuring out your path more than a move or two ahead could be very tricky, which added to the sense that the prince couldn't really plan his approach.

These apparent differences between the games are purely a question of the suspension of disbelief, but Sands of Time just seemed to do this better.

Oh, and the other thing was the side-kick... the prince has this special glove/claw which is supposedly the thing which enables him to stick to walls and such, but the woman is always following behind and achieving the same acrobatic feats without such a device. The inconsistency was quite distracting. That said, she did seem to be able to teleport around, so I expect the answer is just 'magic', and it is probably explained in the game.

I didn't much like the prince's voice acting either.

Otherwise, it looks kinda awesome The art style certainly looks 100 times better in motion than it does in screen shots.

This comment was edited on Aug 22, 20:42.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo