Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

TrackMania Nations Forever Free Release

The TrackMania United Website now offers the promised release of TrackMania Nations Forever, the free installment in this stunt arcade racing series that allows players to compete against owners of the retail TrackMania United and the free TrackMania United Forever upgrade for it that was released yesterday (story). The 504 MB download can also be found on 4players.de, AtomicGamer, ComputerGames.ro, FanGaming, FileFront, FileShack, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot (registration required), and PixelRage. The announcement is pretty lengthy, as it includes an explanation from Florent Castelnerac of Nadeo about their faith in the PC platform as the best place for their efforts because it allows them to offer content creation tools and to integrate social networking-style features. Here's the announcement minus that part:

Launched two years ago, TrackMania Nations became a true video game phenomenon. The free downloadable racing game attracted an unbelievable number of players around the world who were obsessed with the game's fast cars, spectacular tracks single- and multiplayer play and simple yet powerful tools for creating tracks and race videos. For the past two years, it has been installed more than 30 million times and nearly four million players have created an account to play the game online on the game’s servers.

Its highly awaited sequel, TrackMania Nations Forever, is now available as a free download. TrackMania Nations Forever offers a new complete "Forever" version of the Stadium environment, a complete solo mode and 65 brand new, progressively difficult tracks. TrackMania Nations Forever will unite an even larger number of players thanks to its engaging multiplayer modes, innovative online functions and revolutionary interactivity between players.
[…]
The release of TrackMania Nations Forever will also allow the convergence of the huge TrackMania community. For the first time, players of the free versions will be able to play online with players from the retail version of TrackMania United on servers dedicated to the Stadium environment that is common to both games. Players of the TrackMania United retail version also gain a brilliant free extension named "United Forever". In addition to being compatible with Nations Forever, this extension offers many bonuses - including tracks that have never been seen before, new design blocks for the game environments and a spectacular graphics update for the three historic environments Desert, Snow and Rally.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

18. Re: No subject Apr 16, 2008, 12:32  Xymph 

So what, exactly, is the incentive to buy the retail version? I owned Trackmania Sunrise (the manual/serial for which I lost forcing me to toss the CD) and loved it. I'm all for supporting the authors, but how can they give away such a huge game? Are there in-game adds or some other form of revenue I haven't thought of?
United has 6 additional environments (track types), three each from TM Original and Sunrise, with another 147 race tracks. United has three additional game modes: Puzzle, Platform and Stunt, with 21 tracks each. United supports ManiaLinks, an integrated browser for user pages and user-created game content. United uses a coppers system, an in-game currency which you need for various features, such as recording your time on a given track officially on the master servers, and paying for ManiaLinks content. Coppers are also needed by admins that want to host servers where the highest ranking players can compete. And there are further minor incentives, but that should do I guess.

This comment was edited on Apr 16, 12:32.

-- Frans
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo