Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

More on TRIBES-Like Footage

FiringSquad has more on the Starsiege TRIBES reminiscent footage recently "leaked" (story) following earlier "leaked" information about the project (story). Tim Aste of GarageGames spills all sorts of beans about the project, claiming the "leak" is forcing their hands into revealing things earlier than planned. He describes a browser-based game with deep mechanics that are not overly complex, hopefully bringing back gameplay reminiscent of the days of QuakeWorld. He says the game has only been in development since October, but they are serious about this:

The game has only been in development since the end of October, but the studio / company has flirted with the idea for quite some time (as you probably remember from around March 06). This time we are for real, we have the means and motivation, and hopefully we can find a way to bring that whole PC multiplayer gaming experience we miss back in some form to the people who miss it, and maybe introduce it to many more.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: Browser Gaming Dec 25, 2007, 07:02 Beaner

If these guys have done this much in only a couple months, there is a good chance this game is going to kick some faces in! They already know what to shoot for - Tribes 1 & 2 - so that helps alot and removes a lot of development time.

I hope you are right. It seems every time you think the devs of a new Tribes game have learned from the past, some nutbag decides to drastically change a feature, remove a feature or nerf all to hell. (Granted this so called game is not meant to actually be Tribes 3)

It happened with T2 when they nerfed the hell out of the speed on release. With TV they thought hey lets put the speed back, but then they removed a whole lot of everything else, changed a lot of what was left and built it on the crappy unreal 2 engine which changed the whole way the movement and physics felt. TV was a perfect example that tells you that its not just the speed of movement that made the game good. it was the full immsersive maps, the sense of scale, yes vehicles and deployables, yes the command map and more.

Personally as much as I loved T1, After T2 got through patches, updates with things like classic it really was a better game than the first. An excellent evolution of the first. If T2 was released with the classic physics and speed and didn't have the initial bugs it would have been almost perfect. But that whole foible split things up and left us to where we are today. TV just made it even worse.

The good is that this game is being made by folks who made up the first Dynamix crew, its being built on new tech Torque which tells me the netcode and physics should be smooth and maps without any hard boxed in boundries. But yeah this whole browser thing is somewhat a concern. I guess Tribes can never get away from potential issues. I remember when it was announced that TV was being built on a "enhanced" unreal 2 engine, everyone had instant fears about limitations. Those fears came true.

Sometimes I wish Valve created Tribes, because they always handle everything just right. Whether its TF2, or CSS etc. It must be heaven being a fan of Half Life and the mods that surround it.

This comment was edited on Dec 25, 07:06.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo