Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Well I was planning on taking advantage of what I (incorrectly) presumed would be a slow news day yesterday by picking up a new KVM switch to replace my recently demised one in order to get my game computer back in action to play me some BioShock. As it turns out, the machine will not boot, leading me to suspect that either the same event that killed the old KVM switch killed the PC as well, or perhaps the death of one killed the other. Either way at this point I have a dead box, and while my Abit AV8 motherboard has a nifty LED to offer error codes in situations like this, it turns out that the code it is showing is one of what are apparently a number of undocumented codes this can produce, which is not so nifty. A little investigation online suggests that this code (0.2) may relate to a bad PSU, which is one of the few components I'm willing to experiment with replacing in a system old enough to use AGP, since it no longer offers a proper upgrade path. This means the system is old enough to justify replacing it, but I was kind of hoping that building a new gaming rig would free this box up to be a work PC. Oh well, we'll see how this goes.

Balky Links! Thanks Ant and Mike Martinez.
Play: Rat Shot.
Stories: Has a mythical beast turned up in Texas?
Media: Rube Goldberg Gaming Super Mario World plays itself.
Taco Bell Order. NSFW.
Ballad to a Wigged Dog. WTF?

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. AV8? Sep 1, 2007, 18:59 shul

Blue, did you mean A8V? If so - I had the same problem quite some time ago and it was the beginning of the end for that board..

Also.. I think you may be asking too much off an A8V with an AGP card, Bioshock is quite the resource hog.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo