Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

The first couple of Wing Commander games (and expansions) are still among my absolute favorite gaming experiences of all time (hence the BlueHair thing), so I have been eagerly looking forward to Wing Commander Arena for XBLA since it was announced. Now if I paid more attention to console doings like that I'd have known the deal already, but I was shocked (shocked I say!) to learn this is a third-person space combat game, even though all the prior Wing Commander games were first-person, in spite of the series launching a full 17 years ago. Not only is it third-person, but it's basically 2D, offering simple loop-de-loops as a variation from combat that takes place on a horizontal plane that even includes obstacles that cannot be flown over or under, making it far more of a multiplayer Zaxxon with Wing Commander spacecraft. Now that having all been said, I have to say that my initial impression is the game is quite fun, and I look forward to playing around with it some more. However, it does nothing to satisfy my passion for a true multiplayer Wing Commander experience, with first-person combat in 3D space, and it saddens me that this game, which could have been released under any title, diminishes the prospects of a true WC1/WC2-style game.

Links! Thanks Ant.
Links of the Morning: Wild (depressing?) World Clock. Thanks Sharon.
Dudeism.com - The Church of the Latter-Day Dude. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Stories: Cat plays furry grim reaper at nursing home. I bet he can be beaten at chess.
Dancing Elmo Smackdown (registration required). Thanks Neutronbeam.
Science!: India Confirms Bird Flu Outbreak.
FDA says no new labeling for nanotech products. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Researcher develops allergy-free peanuts. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Image: The sun is losing its spots.
Media: Guy Attempts to Visit Every Starbucks in Manhattan. Next challenge: Pronouncing Manhattan.
Kenyans cash in on Simpsons.
Vegetable Musical Instruments.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

31. Re: Wing Commander like games Jul 26, 2007, 19:02 nin

There is a demo up on xbox live for you to check out before you buy it as well.

And holy shit, did I hate the controls on that demo...

-----------------------------------------------------
http://www.neonbible.com
http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/

http://www.nin.com/pub/tension/
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo