Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We had a fine old time cooking out yesterday. I also got to use my little charcoal lighting device that gets the coals burning without lighter fluid. I also learned a lesson about its use, as I left the lid open on the side of the grill as I fired up the coals, and it turns out this thing generates so much heat it was able to roast the paint off the inside of the lid, even though this is designed to withstand being closed over the grill while cooking. BTW, the smell of flame-proof paint cooking is especially noxious.

R.I.P.: Former Altera CEO dies in bicycle crash.

Noxious Links! Thanks Ant.
Stories of the Morning: Awakened man wrestles leopard out of his bed.
Climbers clear mountain of garbage from Everest. Thanks Mike Martinez.
Science!: NZ cows produce own skimmed milk.
The Traveler's Dilemma. Thanks j.c.f.
Can Science Outwit Storms Like Katrina? Registration required.
Image: Best Mario Cake Ever.
Media: Space Access 2007 - Armadillo Aerospace.
Rejected WiiPlay Games.
Invasion of the Puzzle People.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

19. Re: No subject May 30, 2007, 10:35 Enahs

This defies every bit of experise I have read on the topic

Yes well, the problem with cooking is that everybody quotes every "myth" to come before them. Because, why argue with it as the food is damn tasty!

But I'm still not getting a gass grill.

Unwashed heathen!
No, as I said, the important thing is getting your food to taste good, however you do it. As long as you use some kind of grill I am cool, for those sicks disgusting people with no grill.....ugh...just....ugh!

Don't suck up to him... he won't stop hating you.
In fact, I hate him even more now! And you to!

Yes I did... as I described, this super-heating of lump charcoal was how I seared the paint off the inside lid of my Weber.
Wait, inside? Why in the hell would your grill have paint on the inside? That just seems silly to me. Are you sure it was paint you seared off?!

As for adding coals to the fire after it's going, you need to get the grate with the hinges on each side:

http://www.amazon.com/Weber-70915-Replacement-Hinged-Cooking/dp/B00004RAKX

Except, that grate sucks for cooking steaks!
You need a thicker denser grate, so it can hold more heat and transfer more to the meat quicker. Also, the Nickel is not the best at transferring heat, too!
My lovely and fairly cheap charcoal grill came with a door on the side to access the charcoal and add more, etc.

Live Chat with other BluesNews forum members (beta; GreaseMonkey script;updated 1-14-07):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesChat.user.js

Alternating Logo (GreaseMonkey script):
http://www.ualr.edu/szsullivan/scripts_/BluesNewslogo.user.js

I am free of all prejudice. I hate everyone equally.
- W. C. Fields
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo