Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Steam Cracked?

Steam Hacked, Credit Cards May Be Exposed on Gameworld Network reports indications that the Steam system may have suffered a security breach. Some seemingly private information has been posted to a Steam-haters forum, along with a threat to expose further customer data. The breach has not been confirmed.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

81. Re: Credit cards Apr 27, 2007, 00:54 Happyclam

This was simply in response to people complaining that information can be stolen on the internet. It's a fact that when you transmit over the Internet, it can be viewed by anyone who wishes to take a look at your information. The only way to prevent that is by not being connected to the Internet in the first place. It was showing my point that you are exposed when you are connected to the Internet.

Hardly the only way. Any proper encryption will stop people from viewing your information.

My argument is that you make it as difficult as you can, but realize that you're not totally secure, so long as you are connected to the Internet. That is a simple fact, not opinion, btw.

It's an opinion until you can prove it. And as it's rather difficult to prove an open-ended statement, I think you're in for an uphill battle.

What proof do you require? TJ Maxx, the Pentagon, all of the zombie computers out there, Internet Explorer/Netscape having security flaws exposed almost weekly, viruses that run rampant through the net on a daily basis? I'm not sure what more proof you need. You might want to visit Cert.org, or grc.com. Cert might be a little advanced for you, but I have faith in you. And encryption is liked adding one of those steering wheel locks that used to be popular a couple of years back. Yes, it makes it more difficult, but not impossible. Also, just because you are using encryption, the other guy isn't. Also, not all of your traffic is encrypted, just fyi. I'm not going to go through lectures of why thinking you are totally secure is a bad idea. If you don't see it, or simply want to deny it, then it's your computer. You're like the guy in a nice house in a nice suburb who thinks he's immune to crime that happens elesewhere.

By your statement of saying that Valve can disable according to their whim, you are suggesting that Valve can disable your software whenever they feel like for whatever reason. While this is true, it is misleading. Valve is highly unlikely to do so just on a whim. Hence my statement of you thinking they were bent on screwing over the customer. That depends on if you believe in their vision or not. Me, I could care less about their vision. I enjoy some of the games they have, I can play those games, so beyond that, it is of little consequence.

I was wrong concerning Stardock. Stardock Central is becoming a competitor to Steam, coming from a different direction. It looks interesting and it may provide Steam with a good competition if they can get other game developers on board, besides the three they have currently. The problem is going to be security, I believe, since Stardock doesn't use DRM, and a lot of developers like their DRM. It will be interesting to see how things pan out. As far as DRM goes, you'll find that it's in direct response to people pirating the games on a wide scale basis. It doesn't stop it, of course, which should also be a clue about Internet Security, since no system is infallible, but it does keep the honest people honest, rather than the 'I have this game, you want a copy?'. Whether it's good or bad, it's simply a fact that came about in direct response to people taking advantage of the lack thereof.

Well, perhaps I come from a different perspective of self-entitlement. People get spoiled when they have too much of anything and no one likes things to be taken away. But you just have to measure for yourself when something becomes less than what you think it's worth. I don't think it's reached that point yet.

And as far as prices, all of the games that are $50 are 3rd party developers and not actually Valve. Half-life 2 has a list price of $49.95, but then it's crossed out and available for $14.95. So then the question is, who determines prices, and I would hazard a guess that it's not all Valve.

This comment was edited on Apr 27, 01:04.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo