Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

MS on Vista Game Compatibility

Windows Vista and Games on Gamerscore Blog offers a statement from Games for Windows director Rich Wickham about compatibility issues being reported from those trying to play certain games under Windows Vista (thanks Voodoo Extreme). Word is:

Some of you may have heard about some incompatibilities with games running on Windows Vista. I’d like to clear up some misconceptions.

With any launch of a platform of this magnitude there will be growing pains. A large part of our development time was spent ensuring game compatibility on Windows Vista, and we’ve tested over 1000 games so far. The vast majority of games work great on Windows Vista. Obviously we haven’t been able to test every single game that exists, but we will continue to work on ensuring all your favorite games will work with Windows Vista.

We're not the only ones who are excited about gaming improvements in Windows Vista. Developers and publishers, like Electronic Arts, PopCap Games, Vivendi Universal, THQ, Slam Games, WildTangent and others have taken the SDKs and information we’ve shared with them over the years and are delivering great games experiences on Windows Vista. Clearly folks see the value and opportunity in supporting Windows Vista, and we’re thrilled to see their games take advantage of great features like the games explorer, Direct X10 and parental controls.

Let's talk about parental controls for a second. For the first time, people now have easy to use tools to monitor and control what happens on their computers. Using these controls are optional, so you can choose to block specific content (including unrated or specific game titles), or not. The choice is yours, and that’s the way it should be!

Parental controls are just one part of the improved security in Windows Vista. You will be notified when a program attempts an installation on your system, so you will have the choice to block it, or accept it. By being given a choice, you will have a larger say in the overall health and performance of your system.

So, here’s the party line: “Windows Vista offers gamers, from core enthusiasts to casual game players, the safest, easiest, and most fun experiences of any platform.” But here’s the thing: it’s the truth.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

66. MS on Vista Game Compatibility Feb 3, 2007, 17:12 DarkCntry

If another person posts a Tomshardware link and expects it to be a factual attempt at debunking something in Vista...I have several bridges to sell you.

Benchmarks are all synthetic and they will ALL be different to every person, just because I look at a site who uses a benchmark that states this or that is low quality does not mean I will have the same experience.

I installed Vista Ultimate (hey, as a tester I got it free, yay), I installed several HUNDRED different games of varying qualities...did you know I found only one game to really not function correctly? I also found that it had nothing to do with Vista itself, but the program in question. The game's name you ask? Battlefield 2.

The only other problems I have had was pushed down to being the fault of PunkBuster, which is Evenbalance's problem, not Microsoft's.

I'm far from wanting to support Microsoft in terms of praising everything they do, but naysayers and doomsayers for Vista have all been screaming the same things since in was created, none of these problems have shown up in 16 different systems that I have installed Vista on. Does that mean I am an anomaly in the world, the single most lucky person in using Vista? I'm sorry, I don't buy it.

As for WildTangent...sorry Riley, take their cock out of your mouth for a minute and I'm sure you can go ahead and run their little pieces of software and find that they are still, infact, very intrusive and invasive to various things. They are still being detected as malware because they are still malware. Maybe they lessened the amount of malware-like qualities, but it doesn't change the fact that it, RealMedia, and it's ilk are all still annoying little pieces of steaming crap.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo