Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

BF2142 Demo Issue

The Battlefield Website (thanks Planet Battlefield and Ant) has word that EA/DICE is aware of disconnect issues with the newly released Battlefield 2142 demo, and is searching for solutions. They also mention that the demo was such a svelte 1106 MB download due to the exclusion of 33 MB worth of DirectX installers, so a DX installation is necessary for anyone who doesn't have it yet. Here's word on the disconnects:

We are aware that some players are experiencing disconnects while playing the Demo. Please know we are running checks and making enhancements to our support systems so that these disconnects can be solved as quickly as possible.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

45. Re: No subject Oct 9, 2006, 17:57 Tom

At the rate games in general are advancing, I sure as hell hope there is an alternative. The only thing that's really keeping the PC industry in check right now are the consoles. I believe that if it weren't for a strong console industry, the PC gaming industry would outpace storage technologies by a fair bit. It's all hypothetical of course, but from my (what I'd like to believe) educated opinion, and looking at the attitude that persists with high-end hardware, it seems like a reasonable statement.

Outpace? Maybe at least keep pace. C'mon, games are really small these days. My BF2 dir is a mere 2GB. I think UT2004 was one of the biggest games in recent history at what, 4.5GB? When a 500GB drive goes for $200, this is peanuts. And if you look at the history of PC gaming, PC games have fallen farther and farther behind in using up available storage while still pushing the envelope with CPU and graphics card usage.

Consider this. In 1991/1992, a full installation of Wing Commander 2 took 26MB. How much hard drive space did a typical PC gamer have at that time? Maybe 100MB? I think I had 40MB. And I'm pretty sure a 40MB drive then was more expensive than a 500GB drive is now.

So it seems to me that PC games have some serious catching up to do when it comes to using up disk space.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo