Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Evening Q&As

• John Carmack
    Gamer Within's Enemy Territory: Quake Wars Q&A (thanks Shacknews) talks with id Software programmer John Carmack about the MegaTexture technology in the upcoming multiplayer Quake game: "Itís just the variety and the diversity of it. Like I said at the very beginning, this is only a very small aspect of graphics, let alone of games in the larger sense. Itís a specific little piece of technology that addresses texture resource limitations, and this entire technology would not need to exist if you had four gigabyte graphics cards, and lots more RAM. In fact, so much of programming and graphics programming in particular is just trying to pretend that weíve got hardware thatís five or 10 years more advanced than what weíve got right now by making various algorithmic trade offs."
  • Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs
    The Age of Empires III: The WarChiefs Q&A on GameSpot discusses the Sioux tribe from the upcoming RTS expansion with Ensemble's Sandy Petersen: "We wanted a nation which was prominent later in history than the Iroquois and that would be expected to play very differently. We also needed it to be a nation which covered a large area. The Sioux ruled a huge expanse of territory, larger than any European nation except Russia, and their allies and tributaries were numerous and powerful. They were skilled in war and had an exciting history."
  • Titan Quest
    Shacknews' Titan Quest Q&A gets some lore about Iron Lore's action/RPG from Michael Fitch of publisher THQ: "There are a wide variety of monsters in Titan Quest, many of whom are based on mythology, from the lowly Satyr to the majestic Gorgon queens. The different mythologies and the environments of the regions gave us a lot of inspiration to draw from with monster design, but we also invented many out of whole cloth. One of our goals for the game was to give players something fresh and unexpected every 20 minutes or so (which is a lot of content, considering the length of the campaign), so we used a lot of creativity in coming up with monster looks, behaviors, and challenges."
  • A Tale in the Desert III
    MMORPG.COM's A Tale in the Desert III Q&A talks with Andrew Tepper about the coming installment in this MMORPG series: "I find that the most interesting game situations are those where even the designers don't know how things will turn out. If our game had as one of it's goals 'kill the Flax Dragon', then I pretty much know that people are going to get the best weapons and armor, and ready all the most powerful spells, and kill foozle. But if the goal is 'Build as large a group of friends as you can without anyone stabbing you in the back' (Test of the Bureaucrat) then you're going to have all sorts of weird, unexpected stuff happen. Human beings are going to be far more complex, subtle, and unpredictable than any system that I could ever design. This gives a far more interesting gameplay experience."
  • Apogee
    3D Realms' The Apogee Legacy Q&A #17 talks with Mark Randel of Terminal Reality about Terminal Velocity, the game that launched the 3D Realms brand: "I think Apogee/3D Realms did a great job marketing Terminal Velocity. As is their policy even now, they were really careful with every aspect - from picking the title to positioning the logo on the box for maximum visibility. At the time when they started the 3D Realms brand, it was scary being the first title under it. Nobody knew it, and everybody knew Apogee. Nowadays, it is kinda the other way around."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

3. Re: Carmack.... May 1, 2006, 21:49 Jadar

And the gaming community has been gleefully financing their engine development for years - by purchasing their so called games.

Carmack should give something back, how about developing a full gaming API for linux? I'm sick of Microsoft holding me for ransom.

This comment was edited on May 1, 21:53.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo