Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Savage 2: A Supported Penguin

Savage 2: A Tortured Soul to Feature Native Linux Client Support at Launch has word on plans to support the launch of S2 Games' upcoming RTS/FPS sequel with a native Linux client upon launch:

ROHNERT PARK, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 15, 2006--Independent Game Developer S2 Games announced today that it will be supporting the Linux® community by offering Native Linux Client support at launch for its upcoming triple-A title, Savage 2: A Tortured Soul. Savage 2 is the much anticipated sequel to Savage: The Battle for Newerth and will be available in Fall of 2006 as a digital download from the S2 Website.

In order to facilitate the use of a Linux Client at launch, the S2 Games team is working diligently to convert their DirectX® K2 engine, a next-gen game engine built from the ground up specifically for Savage 2, to that of Linux's OpenGL system. The conversion is a necessity as the high-end renderer (DirectX) in the new engine is a Microsoft® product and does not work with Linux. With help from the Linux community and two of Savage's top enthusiasts -- Uttar and WhiteDwarf -- S2 is converting the DirectX renderer, one of the more impressive aspects of the game engine, as the effort will enable Linux gamers to utilize their Linux Client when playing the game.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

6. Re: No subject Mar 16, 2006, 12:51 Than

The excitement was lost when I heard that they may NOT support it in order to prevent overseas piracy.

With Savage 1, LAN play was a cornerstone of the game imo, now they are considering removing it because of fear on lost sales? Just paints an image of a company that I didn't think S2 was.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo