Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

German Violent Gaming Legislation

German Legislation Seeks to Ban Violent Games on Gamasutra clarifies reports that a movement is underway in Germany to ban violent computer and video games. There is yet to be a final draft of the proposed legislation, and whatever changes to the law will not take place until March 2008. Word is:

As with several cases underway in the U.S. and Japan, the legislation would impose government controls above the existing German ratings classification. The anti-game language in the laws, according to comments made by parliament member Andreas Scheuer, is part of a wider effort to remove violent media from children's lives. The topic has been a hot issue in Germany since a high school student in the town of Erfurt staged a Columbine-esque shooting spree, resulting in the deaths of 16 before the student shot himself.

The passage in question is so far a very minor part of the larger coalition effort, but has already come under criticism from several critics within Germany. Grietje Bettin, of Germany's Grün party, said that "The laws read in such a way as if the coalition partners are not familiar with the existing regulations at all." Olaf Wolters, head of Germany's interactive software association, said to Der Spiegel magazine that "As far as we are concerned, there are no such things as killer games, but adult games."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

159. Re: guns Nov 21, 2005, 23:53 Prez

Holy Flaming Trolls, Batman! (Uh, not you, xxBatmanxx!)

Goodbye my Monte boy. May you rest in the peace you never knew in life.
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo