Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Ships Ahoy - Day of Defeat: Source

Day of Defeat: Source is now via the Steam delivery service. Word on Steam News is:

Day of Defeat: Source is available now via Steam for just $19.95. If you have Steam installed, you can get Day of Defeat now! If you don't have Steam installed yet, click here for the Steam installer.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

152. Re: No subject Oct 1, 2005, 17:45 Riley Pizt

Half-Life 2 is released over steam, I was playing it 15 minutes later.

Last week DoD:S was released over steam, I was playing it about 10 minutes after release. Less time then it would have taken me to find my keys and head down to the local game store.
It still took 18 hours or more to download all of that content (if you have a standard 1.5MBps broadband connection). The fact that it may have happened before the official release is irrelevant. Technically, Valve could have made the game available as soon as you downloaded the files and not made you wait to a certain date to activate and decrypt them.

Saying that Steam is immediate is therefore a specious argument. It would be like me saying that retail is immediate because I have my butler stand outside the video game store when it opens, and he picks the game up and installs it on my PC so it is immediately ready to play when I get home.

if Valve ever goes under they will unlock all purchased game content.
Where has Valve officially stated that is the case? As far as I know it hasn't, and even if it had, Valve's history of promises on its future actions demonstrates that they don't have much validity.

You absolutely have to accept any patches they give you.
That is also true of Steam games. Content is updated and forced upon the client each time the game is launched. There is no option or prompt to prevent this update. Turning auto-updates off just disables updating games in the background. But, the games are always updated at launch if online and an update is available. Even many modified game files get overwritten.

And if they ever shut down the servers they are running, you are literaly stuck with a game you can't use.
Similar to what Valve did to all Half-Life 1 owners when it forced Steam upon them to continue to play online.

No I don't blindly follow Valve
Your post demonstrates otherwise.

This comment was edited on Oct 1, 21:35.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo