Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I see dead people! No I'm not Haley Joel Osment, I'm a medic in Battlefield 2. Now here's the question... you guys who lie there critically wounded and scream medic repeatedly while still in the line of fire of the ambush that killed you... have never seen a war movie like Saving Private Ryan or Full Metal Jacket where the sniper picks off everyone who tries to help their wounded friend? What are you thinking? Sometimes I'm sure they are just trying to get a couple of medics killed due to the 'misery loves company' syndrome.

Sixth Links: Thanks Mike Martinez and Ant.
Stories: Walter Koenig Reprises His Role as Chekov.
15-year-old Conn. girl fights to have Mercury spacesuit moved.
Man with crowbar injured. Thanks Devicer.
Science! What Makes You Safer in a Crash May Pose Risks in the Rescue (registration required).
Xtreme Defense (registration required).
Confounding Machines: How the Future Looked (registration required).
Image: APOD 2005 August 29 - Hurricane Katrina in the Gulf of Mexico. Thanks Jim.
Media: Snoopy & Woodstock in the Battle of Yavin.
Car Trip Scare.
Auctions: Battlefield 2 mercenary - bodyguard for hire, 10 hours.
Follow-ups: Boost to CO2 mass extinction idea.
Mars, Venus and Jupiter Failed To Rearrange The Skies.
Attorney: 'Clerical Error' Is To Blame For All Royalties Being Sent To Singer. Thanks ASLayerAODsk.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

91. Re: Geodesic Domes... Aug 30, 2005, 09:18 Zathrus

The big problem if you don't have one is that it costs a huge amount to actually INSTALL one, and that's money that few taxpayers wants to fund.

LA actually does have a public transit system, both train and bus. As I understand it, it's pretty heavily underutilized. I've never lived there, but I suspect it's much the same problem as with Atlanta -- huge city, relatively low density, and so everything is spread out. Public transit doesn't go where people need, or doesn't go there in anything resembling a reasonable amount of time (*cough*busessuck*cough*).

I am damn happy that I can take public transit for half of my commute here in Atlanta, but it's a rare circumstance. For most people it takes so much time to get to a train station that they figure they may as well spend the next N minutes dealing with traffic the rest of the way. Maybe that'll change as fuel prices rise, but I doubt it -- my coworkers are already paying more in monthly parking (and that doesn't count gas or tolls if they take the closest highway) than it costs for a monthly transit pass. Certainly some of them can't reasonably take mass transit (for several it would increase their commute by 20-40 minutes each way -- such is the idiocy that is MARTA), but others certainly could and do not. Out of the 20-ish people in our group I think only 3 of us use transit at all.

when it's obvious that only a fraction of them has a real need for that kind of a vehicle (safety aside)

And the safety bit is seriously overrated. A recent government study showed 12% greater chance of fatality in SUVs due to rollover. And that was in a multiple car crash, not a single. The single car accident statistics have worse for a long time now.

Still, we have a second kid on the way -- our current cars (Maxima and Camry) should be fine for anything but long car trips, but if we replace one it will be with something bigger. Probably a minivan or station wagon; hopefully a hybrid or something similar.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo