Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

Can it be? the weather in these parts is only supposed to run up to the low 80s today, which means it will only be uncomfortably warm, instead of life-threateningly hot! The good news, because heat waves like this make one consider the possibility of moving someplace cooler... like the sun!

Red Hot Links! Thanks Mike Martinez, Ant, and EvilToast.
Play Time: Galvanize.
Justanotheronlineriddle.
Links: Kubrick 2001: The space odyssey explained.
Turned off by PC-Turnoff Week.
Story: Blondie and Dagwood to celebrate 75th anniversary.
Shall I compare thee to a ... carburetor.
Media: Crappy Set.
Science: New Super Magnet Weighs More Than 15 Tons.
You Know More Than You Might Recall.
Beta-blockers 'blot out memories'. Wait... Did I post this yesterday?
Auction: Analogue Ring Modulator Synthesizer, Dalek Voice.
Lennon lyric sheet could break record.
Follow-ups: Shuttle Damage?
Wired News Successful Docking for Shuttle.
Daylight-Saving Time Extended by a Month!

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

21. Re: DST Jul 29, 2005, 17:06 JHMirage

The post my reply was directed at complained that this was idiotic because it would be troublesome for computers and their maintainers. I just contend this should not be the first, much less only, priority in such a decision.

Well, let me add two clarifications to my comment...

1) I should have been more specific. The "Idiot lawmakers" comment was for them deciding that this needed to take effect immediately, giving relatively little time for the industry to react. Why not enact this next spring or even later?

2) My complaint wasn't on behalf of the machines! It was on behalf of those of us (mostly humans, I would assume) who have to work on/with them, and who depend on them for services. Whatever they'd hoped to save in energy costs will be deducted from the budgets of a good number of companies in unexpected labor costs as we scramble to make sure everything we write (or have ever written) that depends on time/date works correctly.

In short, should they not change DST because it's inconvenient for computers? Of course not. That wasn't even remotely my point. I feel there are any number of reasons why it shouldn't be changed at all, but that is all beside my original point, which is that they are behaving idiotically by rushing this silly change through without considering the ramifications.

I stand by my "Idiot lawmakers" comment, in any event.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Computer over?
Virus = very yes?
That's not a good prize!
Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo