Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Retail Group on GTA

The IEMA sends along their own statement on the re-rating of GTA by the ESRB:

HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA (July 20) - The trade group representing the $10-billion-dollar computer and video game industry's leading retailers, the Interactive Entertainment Merchants Association (IEMA), has issued the following statement regarding the revocation of the “Mature” rating for the controversial video game, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

“The ESRB (Entertainment Software Ratings Board) notified us late this afternoon Eastern Time that they have revoked the “Mature” rating previously issued for Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, following an extensive investigation. Our members intend to immediately cease all sales of the game until existing inventory can either be re-stickered with an AO (Adults Only) rating, or exchanged for new versions of the game that has the hidden content removed and the original M (Mature 17+) rating intact. Though not a policy, IEMA members generally do not carry AO-rated games any differently than we do not carry X-rated videos or DVDs, thus it is likely that our members will be removing all copies of the current version and re-stocking with the updated version.”

We understand that several non-IEMA retail companies intend to continue selling the current version, so we would refer all media inquiries to those respective corporations.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

76. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2005, 01:31 wrecklass

it was quicker, cheaper and easier to remove access, and they simply never realised that (by directly manipulated the contents of RAM IIRC) it could be feasibly accessed.

Now that's just stupid. Every game company on the planet has become well aware that hackers can and will do anything to find cheats/exploits/mods in games no matter how hard the company tried to keep it quiet.

As a programmer, I can tell you that your assumption that they had some really tricky code that made removing the content too difficult is just hilarious. The more plausible scenario is that R* figured that the code would be hacked, and the publicity would either sell lots more games, or make them famous as 'gangstas.' However, it looks like they forgot to take into account that lots of real people and the government doesn't have that kind of sense of humor.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo