Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DICE NY Closed

This Digital Illusions' Press Release (thanks Frans) announces that DICE is closing their New York offices. DICE New York was the arm of the Swedish developer formed upon the acquisition of Trauma Studios, developers of the Desert Combat modification for Battlefield 1942. According to the announcement, the dozen employees of DICE New York are being offered the opportunity to relocate to Sweden, and that DICE Canada will continue to operate, focusing on expansion packs. The wording of the announcement makes it sound like this move enables DICE to renege on a scheduled payment:

Digital Illusions will not pay the supplement payment of 200,000 USD as agreed upon at the time of the acquisition of Trauma Studios. The total payment is thereby 300,000 USD. Following the adjustment for the default of payment of the additional supplement payment, the SEK 1.3m remainder of the value of goodwill is written down during the second quarter of 2005. Other costs of liquidation are diminutive.

Update: Gamecloud has a reaction from Frank DeLise of Trauma/DICE NY saying those not relocating to Sweden are being provided with severance packages, and he personally was taking a vacation before returning to game development.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

93. Royalties Jun 8, 2005, 10:25 SouL_DragooN

Buy a team and let them work themselves to death. Right before the game is about to earn those royalties you promised your employees as a suppliment to their low pay for their long hours.... FIRE THEM!!. Then when the royalties of millions come in on a HUGE game like this it is all yours. Those under-paid and overworked guys that were in the office till 3am every night for a year don't deserve it right. Plus you can replace them with other people looking for glory in the game industry.

Welcome to the game industry. I got out.. and am glad I did.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo