Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Far Cry Patch

A new patch is now available for Far Cry, updating Crytek's first-person shooter to version 1.31 addressing some multiplayer issues. The 9 MB download is available on 3D Gamers, ActionTrip, Boomtown (registration required), FileFront, FileShack (registration required), Gameguru Mania, Gamer's Hell, GameSpot DLX (registration required), and Worthplaying.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

84. Re: Scottish Martial Arts & Beamer = ... Feb 7, 2005, 16:06 Xenos Overdrive

Bottom line: someone like Tom Clancy or John Grisham produces pulp, like you said, and it may be popular, it may be enjoyable and it may sell millions but that doesn't make it good writing or good literature. Look at how we on the bluesnews boards respond to your average EA game: we deride it as being something for the mass market, that stupid console kiddies lap up, something that has whizbang production values but is ultimately poorly designed. Tom Clancy, Michael Crichton, etc. are the EA of the book world. They (EA and the above authors) produce mass market shit, that is well marketed.

People deride EA because it's the popular thing to do on these boards. Yeah, they produce a lot of crap, but they also put out a lot decent games. Which...arguably, a lot of people wouldn't buy and reviewer's wouldn't praise if there wasn't anything of worth.

People buy it not because it is especially good but because they simply arn't in to the medium enough to appreciate the mediums better offerings.

What consitutes a great storyline in my oppinion will not necessarily do so in yours. That's human nature, dude. It's pure close mindedness to assume that a person buys a Clancy or Ludlum novel simply because there is "better" material out there. If the reader enjoys the storyline, that's all that matters.

I'm not particularly well read but I know enough about literature not to waste my time with someone like Clancy, just like how I know enough about video games not to waste my time with the next EA Bond game or the next EA LotR game.

Sounds like to me you don't read much at all. I'm not in any means defending Clancy or the contrived comparison to EA, but you might want to break out that evil Clancy book to really see if your oppinion still holds (because throwing out a rebellious oppinion for the sake of deference is rather dumb).

To go back to the film example of Collateral, it got pretty much universal critical acclaim despite the fact that it's plot was "Taxi Driver drives assasin around LA". The plot never develops past that other than that the hits get linked back to a character that is present at the very beginning of the film. The reason why Collateral is acclaimed as a good story because the characters are believable and Mann takes the time to really develop the world to the point that you don't need to suspend your disbelief, your simply lost in the lives of the people on screen.

Yeah, you actually hit a pretty damn good point there. The characters were believable. That's what often makes or breaks the best writers, in film or literature. Jamie Foxx is hardly the world's best actor outside of comedy (even then he's overrated, IMHO) but he did an exception job acting alongside the likes of Tom Cruise.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo