Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Q3A Source Release Delay

As noted on John Carmack's new overloaded blog (thanks Frans), plans to release the source code for Quake III Arena under the GPL have been delayed by a new licensing agreement. Here's the deal as can be found on LinuxGames:

I intended to release the Q3 source under the GPL by the end of 2004, but we had another large technology licensing deal go through, and it would be poor form to make the source public a few months after a company paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for full rights to it. True, being public under the GPL isnít the same as having a royalty free license without the need to disclose the source, but Iím pretty sure there would be some hard feelings.

Previous source code releases were held up until the last commercial license of the technology shipped, but with the evolving nature of game engines today, it is a lot less clear. There are still bits of early Quake code in Half Life 2, and the remaining licensees of Q3 technology intend to continue their internal developments along similar lines, so there probably wonít be nearly as sharp a cutoff as before. I am still committed to making as much source public as I can, and I wonít wait until the titles from the latest deal have actually shipped, but it is still going to be a little while before I feel comfortable doing the release.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

50. Re: What baffles me Jan 4, 2005, 11:16 Zephalephelah

I'm not dodging shit. I wish I did rape a girl. I wish I did murder people. I wish I did rob banks. But I didn't. I did do some things that were pretty terrible in my life, but who hasn't.

Anyway, why don't you just admit when you've been completely overwhelmed by my abilites to insult you. I got you so riled up & had to go look up my name on google. I got you so pissed off, you looked at whatever is out there on Zephalephelah for however long it took, trying to dig something up. Wow, I sure got under your skin huh?

Tell you what, you go home now & lick the yellowish green cottage cheese consistency yeast infection from your whore mother's cunt. At least you can do some things well in this world. And she needs a bath from you anyway. You can fuck her while your at it, although she might charge you for that. Anyway, please do me a favor & kindly fuck off. Thanks!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo