Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Bizz Buzz - Where's PC DRIV3R?

Atari Reports Fiscal 2005 Second Quarter and Six-Month Financial Results (thanks Frans) offers Atari's latest financials, including plans going forward. Curiously, or perhaps tellingly, there is no mention at all of the PC version of DRIV3R, suggesting the possibility that plans to release a port of the console wheelman game may have gone off course.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

13. Re: No subject Nov 5, 2004, 10:59 Cy

um oops guess my memory is worse than I thought:

Rumor #2: Reflections Interactive is planning a special edition of the Atari-published Driver 3.

Source: An e-mail from a GameSpot reader.

The official story: "This would be news to me. Sounds pretty unlikely though, eh?" --Atari spokesperson.

What we heard: Late in the week, GameSpot received a message that read as follows: "I have inside information on Reflections! Reflections Interactive knows Driver 3 could be a kick-ass game, but the technical problems held it back, this is why Reflections is redoing it, the are fixing all the bugs in Driver 3 and will release it in spring 2005, called Driver 3: Special Edition. This new version of Driver 3 will also include four new levels and a sneak preview of Stuntman 2!" While certainly enthusiastic, the e-mail overlooked some cold hard facts--namely, that the Driver 3 was one of Atari's most highly anticipated titles of 2004, as Enter the Matrix was in 2003. Like Enter the Matrix, the game was an initial financial success but received a critical drubbing. Given the subsequent backlash against the game, it is unlikely that there would be a market for a special edition of Driver 3--which would likely have to be sold at a bargain price point--to justify further development dollars. A similar rumor was floated earlier this year about the PC Halo-wannabe Breed. That scenario had developer Brat Designs releasing a much-improved version the critically savaged version of the game, which was allegedly severely modified by publisher CDV and released under protest from Brat. That didn't happen. But, unlike Driver 3, Breed didn't sell more than 500,000 units.

Bogus or not bogus?: Bogus.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo