Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Star Trek MMORPG

Following a spate of rumors (story), a press release on Star Trek Online Universe confirms that a Star Trek MMORPG is in the works, planned for release in early 2007. In addition to first dibs on the press release, they also have posted a preliminary FAQ for the project. Here's a bit from the announcement:

SAN FRANCISCO Sept. 7, 2004 Perpetual Entertainment, Inc. announced today that it has secured the exclusive worldwide rights from Viacom Consumer Products to develop and publish a massively multiplayer online game based on Paramount Pictures' Star Trek franchise.

Star Trek is one of the world's most popular, longest-running, and beloved sci-fi properties, with millions of passionately devoted fans throughout the world. As Star Trek celebrates its 38th anniversary, Star Trek gaming begins its next evolution.

The license encompasses all live-action motion pictures and television series including, Star Trek , Star Trek: The Next Generation , Star Trek: Deep Space Nine , Star Trek: Voyager , and Star Trek: Enterprise . "The scope of the content license is extraordinary for a game of this kind, giving us the opportunity to immerse fans and players in the incredibly rich, diverse and exciting universe of Star Trek ,? said Joe Keene, CEO of Perpetual Entertainment.

The game will deliver action, adventure and combat mechanics unique to persistent world games. Its design includes a rich array of solo and multiplayer missions set in space, on planets and in starbases throughout the universe. At launch, it will take place during the 24th century timeline in the series with other aspects of the Star Trek universe to be interwoven and added through expansions.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

43. Re: Update Please! Sep 7, 2004, 15:53 4D-Boxing

I'm to anti-social to play MMO games but with the right amount of polish, past innovations and gamer ideas this could work well. I would love to see a FPS/space sim/RPG type of gameplay. You could sart off on the ground with FPS/RPG gameplay recruit a party, then pay for a trip on a cargo ship to travel or buy a ship. Instead of having a party of real peopple you would have squad that you could control " A La" rainbow six. If you want to join up with other player, then you just have your squad and the other guys squad. All characters should be eble to tweak their skills like in an RPG.

If you end up buying a ship, I would like to se the Brige commader single player approach used in multiplayer. Your Squad takes care of the diff stations (tactical etc..) You just point and click like in brige commander to issue order or select sub systems to target, but i would like the fighting to be like the single player fighting in Brige commader and people who join you party have their own ships and crew composed of their squad. Small ships like shuttles can be piloted via joystick.

Anyways that's my ideal trek game. Deformable terrain, the ability to fly from atmosphere to space without any transitions or cut scenes and a good damage model would be a must. Good to see another non D&D men in tigghts chassing Hobbits type of MMO game.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo