Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 Previews

Even a slow Sunday gets its DOOM 3 post du jour, as there are a pair of previews of the imminent shooter online this weekend (thanks Frans). There are previews of the game on GameSpot and on IGN based on getting to check it out at the G-Phoria deal from G4. Here's a bit from GameSpot::

The Doom 3 demo station at G-Phoria didn't subject eager attendees to the game's introductory segment, which is reportedly set before all the hellish action picks up. In fact, our experience with Doom 3 started with the second level of the game, at which time the nameless main character is tasked with navigating the labyrinthine research base and briefly traversing the Martian landscape in search of a missing scientist. Right about the time you find this scientist, all hell breaks loose--literally--as a terrible presence overruns the base and your former comrades begin to turn demonically against you.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

146. Re: Books vs Movies Aug 2, 2004, 11:35 Zathrus

Most console games lock their framerates

They also have a vastly different output medium. NTSC is roughly 640x240, 60 fps. Since it's interlaced that winds up being 640x480 at 30. The amount of silicon needed to drive that is pretty trivial nowadays. And there's absolutely no advantage in rendering faster since the display device is utterly incapable of doing anything with it. Their input is also locked to 1/frame, and the hardware is unlikely to do anything other than that.

The PC is wildly different -- the output device (your monitor) is often capable of much higher refresh rates and the input sampling can vastly exceed 1/frame (PS/2 mice are more limited unless you tweak things).

I wish people would stop comparing computer rendered images to film/video though. They're simply not comparable. When you film/tape something in real life you don't "lose" information between frames. If the object is moving fast enough that you can't precisely capture it on a single frame then you get motion blur. Our brains are extremely capable of seeing a blurred object in successive frames and sorting it out as the proper object that's moving very, very fast. For computer generated images the same is not true -- each frame is drawn disctinctly with no blur whatsoever (shortly before 3Dfx went under they came out with the "T-buffer" to handle this issue... screenshots looked like ass, but it's not something designed for static images. I never saw it in reality, but the theory behind it is sound), so if an object is moving faster than your frame rate it will appear to stutter across the screen. You can simply ensure that nothing will move that fast, but if the user's system gets bogged down to a really low fps then there may not be anything you can do to prevent it.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo