Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

No Win98 DOOM 3

In today's (unusually late) DOOM 3 newsbit, a post on PlanetDOOM confirms from Activision that DOOM 3 will not run under Windows 98 or Win98SE, but that Windows XP or Windows 2000 will be required.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

30. Re: No subject Jul 27, 2004, 22:14 Nighthawk

Its been out for 3 years and you have never read about what it offers and what it can do? Sit down at the internet and read up. Microsoft will release a new OS every 4-5 years but they support up to 2 versions back. If you include 2000 and ME then guess what, 98 is too old. Using more resources doesn't automatically make it better, it uses more resources BECAUSE it is better.

Not being suported by Microsoft is a huge deal. If there are issues with the game under 98, Microsoft wont provide support. If a certain 98 driver is causing issues, Microsoft again will not work with providers to fix the issues. You have to build for the latest thing out there and leave the old stuff behind. Its called progression.

Eventually you just have to upgrade. An OS isn't something like pixel shading 2.0 or 3.0, or the latest bump mapping code. Its the guts of what runs our software. Eventually things are tailored to use the best thing out there and currently XP is it.

-Nighthawk

AMD 2700+ XP
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB
1 Gig PC2700
Radeon 9700 Pro 128
Onboard Nforce2 Dolby 5.1 audio
2x WD 80 Gig HDs
Sony 52x CD / Plextor 12x/10x/32x Burner

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo