Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

DOOM 3 - Site Seeing, Networking Q&A

Following the game's gold announcement, the DOOM 3 Website is now online (thanks Tiscali Games), quite the intrusive full-screen Flash affair replacing the placeholder previously occupying that space. The site offers news, content, and links for the upcoming shooter. There is also an article with first-impressions from the game on TIME.com. Finally, PC DOOM 3 multiplayer networking info on GameSpy features id programmer Robert Duffy discussing the game's multiplayer capabilities. In addition to confirming that the architecture will be client/server (story) and that multiplayer will be capable of scaling beyond four players (story), he also says the Win32 dedicated sever for the game will be available in the box, the Linux dedicated server "should" (as opposed to "will") be available online by the time the game is on shelves, and also describes the reason for drifting away from the controversial plan to only provide peer-to-peer multiplayer gaming:

The primary reason is that, due to a variety of things, it was next to impossible to keep all the clients in perfect synchronization. That's a short answer to a difficult problem, but that's the bottom line of why we went with a new client-server architecture.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

20. Re: HL's Goodness ?? Jul 16, 2004, 22:23 J/K

Could be Tool could be not. Drumss in the beginning sound a bit like Tool, but the guitars seem a bit simplistic for Tool.

and jeeeez.. A) if it's Tool than Sonic Mayhem really can't even be compared
B) I love it when people listen to couple of seconds of music and already judge by that.

Nevertheless.. I don't see much point of music in such a game. can only distract.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo