Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

Specter of a Spector Departure?

Shacknews is reporting that "multiple sources" inform them that Warren Spector "is said to be leaving" ION Storm, reporting the Austin Texas-based developer has also laid off 20-25 employees. Ion Storm Implodes is the headline on a similar story on IGN, which reports on the layoffs, as well as Eidos' explanation that this was a normal staff reduction associated with the completion of the pair of game projects that were underway at ION, quoting the publisher as dismissing the idea that Warren was laid off as well, though they don't actually come out and say he did not quit. They have yet to receive a reply from ION Storm, but this was Eidos' response to questions about Warren's departure:

"Ah rumors... well that sounds like a good one... but it is just a rumor," said the representative. "He certainly has not been laid off."

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

60. Re: No subject May 29, 2004, 12:02 30SomethinGamer

Excellent thread guys.

I don't blame developers for going to consoles at all. If a game is great, it can be great on any medium that meets a minimum asthetic requirement.

A game that even stands a chance nowadays costs about $10 million to make. I'm not sure, but I think you have to sell about 600-700K copies to just break even. It's not very smart to ONLY make PC games if you want to secure the future of the studio. There are so few dedicated PC developers - Valve, Blizzard, and a few others. They suck up a big bulk of the total "spend" consumers have per year on PC games.

I wish the new Ion Storm company (whatever they call themselves) luck. I think they have a bunch of smart guys there and with proper focus and game design leadership, they will make great games, no matter what the medium.

Also, I find it sad how PC-only gamers are quickly becoming tired Luddites.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo