Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Xbox 2 & PC Hybrid?

Microsoft studying appeal of Xbox 2-PC hybrid on CNN Money describes low-key research Microsoft has been conducting to evaluate the appeal of combining PC functionality into the next generation Xbox, which they say may be available as early as next year. The Xbox, of course, is built on PC architecture, so the issues involved are much more conceptual than technological. Here is a bit of what they learned about this scenario, currently being tested with focus groups, that is apparently just one of several possible directions Microsoft may be taking with the Xbox 2:

The B/R/S Group, a California-based market research company that lists Microsoft and the Xbox division specifically as clients, has been gathering consumer feedback on a device it refers to as Xbox Next PC "a videogame console system with a hard drive and a built-in fully functional PC." Mention of the device came on one of several slides shown to focus groups.

One slide describes the unit, which would require a PC monitor or high definition television, as being backward compatible with current and next-generation Xbox titles. It would also play PC games and include a fully functional version of Windows, CD burner, DVD player (with remote control), built-in access to Xbox Live and a hard drive. Control-wise, the system would come with both a keyboard and mouse and a standard Xbox controller. The price point this particular study tested was $599.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

35. Re: No subject May 27, 2004, 17:27 4D-Boxing

Dread lol! Trying to start a war in here? " I can't help but think PC gaming is taking it's final ride into the sunset. "

Yeah that's what people where saying on CNN and online in 1998 when the Dreamcast came out! What happened to the dreamcast? Anyways bottom line is that all platforms will survive (pc and consoles) just because they are different beasts. I'm 31 and grew up playing PC games. I've tried console games but never found them to be any fun. Console gamers feel the same way about PC gaming, they've never found pc games to be much fun. The only way one platform or the other can die is if all gamers become a homogenized mass with the exact same tastes. In other words dream on! As a PC gamer I would never dare comment on the stat of console gaming like you did, just because I do not have all the info and you should follow the same strategy. Do not comment on stuff you know nothing about.

Shows like E3 should be open to the public that way people can have a clear picture of the state the industry is in.

time to let the 15 year old kids take over the discussion, 5:30 EST the all the kids should be home and loging on!

PS. We've all seen what happened in Afghanistan, fanatics never prevail. Think before you post and do a little research and you won't advertise your ignorance to the entire world.

This comment was edited on May 27, 17:34.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo