Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:
Greenbelt, MD 08/22

Regularly scheduled events

R.I.P. Origin?

UO Stratics has word that the other shoe may be dropping on the developer of the Ultima and Wing Commander series. According to the report the developer's Austin-based offices will be shut down, and "Employees will be offered an opportunity to relocate to California or accept a severance package. Company officials could not be reached for comment." This consolidation fits with the recent announcement that Maxis is likewise relocating to EA's HQ. On a semi-related note, Electronic Arts and the Growing Trends of the Gaming Industry on GameTheMod discusses EA's history.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

32. Re: No subject Feb 24, 2004, 16:35 4D-Boxing

The most fun i've ever had playing video games was with the wing commander series. At 30 almost 31 years of age it's sad to see wing commander die in the hands of EA. I don't know if EA got so big that they lost the ability to innovate or their just stupid but their is so much that could have been done with the WC franchise. After loosing WC, system shock and mech worrior i'm starting to worry about the PC gaming industry, it's almost like publishers are trying to sabotage PC gaming. Now we are going to get a wave of vietnam games, copy cats are going to release their versions and cry that PC games can't sell instead of trying to innovate.
IT's almost like publishers are clueless, i mean so many people cry out for SS3 and nothing. I know their are some issues about who owns the rights to System shock but with demand being so great their is a way to big bucks with the game and keep everybody happy so i feel their is a lack of effort. Fallout3, Grim Fandango2 would also be very good sellers but their does not seem to be any sign of them being made.
I really don't get what's going on in the industry, it's almost like the people who make mods are the keeping pc gaming alive cause they actually listen to what pc gamers want! One could just come in the blue's forums and listen to people start a gaming company and make a killing if they had the money!

Sorry for the long erratic rant but it's heart breaking to see PC gaming fall apart!

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo