Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

I have been a big fan of Tic Tac mints since they first came out when I was a kid (I guess I just dated myself again). They've become even more of a mainstay in my life since I became a driver, as I had a bunch of packages in the car at one point and provoked an expectation from my passengers that they would always find Tic Tacs there, perpetually forcing me to keep them properly stocked. I was only a little nonplussed by the "More Enjoyable Freshness" slogan on the last package of these I picked up, figuring there was a bonus container of mints in the package. To my shock, it turns out this refers to the fact that they've increased the size of each mint by 30%. I kept an open mind about this before trying them, but my worst fears are confirmed, as they have managed to ruin the ratio of outer coating to inner mint... actually I imagine the proportions are the same, but the effect is different, and I don't like the new variety nearly as much as the old one. I hope there's a plan to keep the older type around as well. If there isn't, I guess I'll have to count on disgruntled fans like myself forcing them to go back... sort of like how we got New Coke killed back in the day (gosh, that's already a long time ago too... I really have to stop doing that).

Ooops! Almost forgot -- Happy Birthday Frans!!!!!!!!

Links of the Day: Google Publishes Print Edition. Thanks APAULLO.
Help John Get Divorced.
Worster Album Covers Ever II Thanks Bronco.
Stories of the Day:

Burglar Delivers Himself to House in Box. Thanks Ant.

Science!: Russian may have solved great math mystery.
New-Found Old Galaxies Upsetting Astronomers’ Long-Held Theories on the Big Bang (registration required).
Follow-up: Hope for Beagle 2 Fading.
Thanks Mike Martinez.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

57. Re: Oh no Jan 8, 2004, 23:16 rkone

First of all, not going to see Return of the King means missing out on what's probably going to be the best film of this DECADE.

I'm sorry, RotK was ok, but it felt like a rehash of The Two Towers to me. In TTT, the beginning of the film was all over the place. It's obvious the entire film was just a setup for the final battle at helm's deep. In RotK, the beginning was all over the place again. It also felt like it was just a setup for the big battle (Gondor this time). Yes the battles were great, but not worth sitting through the entire movie.

FotR however, had great character development, and a boatload of amazing scenes peppered throughout the entire movie. I can't think of one thing to cut out of it, this is after watching it 15+ times now.

I can pick out a number of pointless scenes in the next two films though. What's up with Aragorn's "death" after the wolf riders? Aren't there enough fake deaths in the trilogy without it? In fact, the entire wolf rider attack subplot was useless, they weren't properly built up, they never seemed like any major threat. And what they were thinking to have Frodo brought back to the city, did they all go back through the dead marshes? If not, why did they go through all that to get to Mordor in the first place?

In RotK, what was the point of having the Stewart of Gondor act so contrary to everyone, without any explanation at all? His actions make no sense in the movie. The best explanation we get is that "he's crazy". Argh! The path of the dead was underwhelming to say the least. In the book it was built up quite a bit, but in the movie there's nothing interesting about it at all. All we get is restless horses and the rehashed "I'm a ghost because I'm translucent and green" undead. I was half expecting Bill Murray to jump in and cry out "He slimed me!". So much time was spent creating interesting, unique and realistic races. I guess when it was time to do the undead, they had run out of ideas.

The more I think about the last two films, the less I like them

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo