Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

FPS Games & Minors

Bay Area Lawmaker Wants to Keep Minors from Buying Violent Video Games (thanks HomeLAN Fed) has word of an effort in the Bay Area to curtail minors' access to violent video games that would classify all first-person shooters as adult only by their very nature. Here's a bit:

Assemblyman Leland Yee (D-San Francisco) plans to introduce legislation this week that would keep minors from purchasing first shooter videogames, where players need to kill in order to advance.

“These first person shooter videogames really teach kids how to stalk and how to maim and torture and kill people,” Yee said. “That’s not what we should be doing for our kids.”

Yee is also a child psychologist, and he said, it is time to “draw the line.”

The bill would penalize retailers and other stores that sell the games to anyone under the age of 17. A second bill would require video game retailers to separate children's games from adult games.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

44. Re: Von Helmet Nov 30, 2003, 18:20 Von Helmet

It's up to parents

My point exactly.

Yes, it's a bit of a generalisation, but sadly the law often has to cater to the lowest common denominator. You can't say "OK, kids aren't allowed to play violent games unless you're a responsible parent" because everyone thinks they're a responsible parent regardless.

I hate it as much as you do, but the government has to do something about it because a lot of parents are doing such a lousy job.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

Blue's News logo