Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

Out of the Blue

We get a lot of spiders around here and they get very busy at night (in fact there's a big wolf spider who takes advantage of the moths attracted to the light from my office at night by setting his trap right outside the window near the light). I therefore don't take it personally when I get tangled in spider webs in the morning when we go out to the car so I can drive MrsBlue to the train, but this morning, after accidentally leaving the window to the car open last night, I managed to get ensnared in a web that had been set between the drivers seat and the steering wheel. I don't want to sound paranoid, but I think the eight-legged freaks are out to get me.

Although admittedly half of that span has gone without updates, the fifth anniversary of loonygames is now being marked! Where does the time go?

Link of the Day: The World's Worst Food.
Stories of the Day: 12-year-old begins medical school. Paging Dr. Howser!
MIT Everyware.
WorldCom, Enron execs elude charges.
Wild Science: Delivering perfect pitch.
Man's restored sight offers new view of vision.
Researchers Seek to Trick Bitter Taste Buds (registration required).
Weird Science: When sci-fi forgets the science.
Lack Direction Evaluate Your Brain's C.E.O. (registration required).
New Telecommunication Tools May Emerge From the Deep (registration required).
Thanks Mike Martinez.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

15. Spiders Aug 26, 2003, 14:36 Spiders

As you can probably tell from my name, I love spiders. All insects actually, but spiders have been a specialty of mine for a long time.

When something like that happens to me, I consider it a good omen. Fortunately, most of the spiders in my part of town are nocturnal so I don't have to move them when I need to drive somewhere just to find out that one has built a web between my antenna and the hedge which I park next to - although it does occasionally happen. I even had one living in my bed for a while.

Anyway, when you have one that you can just observe for a minute, they are pretty fascinating. Three gigantic orb-weavers spin webs each night on my deck, one right in front of the sliding glass door that leads outside. I can watch her build her web from start to finish, catch the occasional unlucky bug, do general housekeeping, and I was even fortunate enough to watch the male spin his web next to hers, go through the whole extended mating ritual, and start to slink away just to get eaten. Male spiders definitely have the short end of the stick as far as that goes.

Spiders (that's me) - spreading spider love (the platonic kind, not the pay-site kind) any chance I get.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo