Send News. Want a reply? Read this. More in the FAQ.   News Forum - All Forums - Mobile - PDA - RSS Headlines  RSS Headlines   Twitter  Twitter
Customize
User Settings
Styles:
LAN Parties
Upcoming one-time events:

Regularly scheduled events

TRIBES Vengeance Q&A

There's a TRIBES Vengeance Q&A on PC Gameworld talking with VU Games producer Chris Mahnken. Along the way he picks up the gauntlet when asked about comparisons to other highly anticipated shooter sequels, and tosses it right back:

I think we’ll stand up quite well with those titles, which is really saying something. The Doom 3 engine has no outdoor spaces, and the Half-Life engine has been in development since before Tribes 1 shipped. The real question is how they will match up to Tribes Vengeance game-play.

Post Comment
Enter the details of the comment you'd like to post in the boxes below and click the button at the bottom of the form.

118. Re: abelincon.. Jul 2, 2003, 13:25 Yogi

Classic is great, I love it. However it still suffers from the same problems vanilla T2 does.

You really can't play many of the stock maps in classic. 90% of competition is played on user created maps that actually had skiing in mind.

I have little respect for Georgeson's vision for Tribes 2. I got the chance to meet and speak with Dave Meddish at a LAN party (hosted by Cheater, who is the man). One of his maps was Archipelago. Archipelago did not get "Dave G's Magical Stamp of Approval" until the map was determined to be un-ski-able.

Now, the three tenets of Tribes is:
1. Jet packs
2. Skiing
3. Disc launcher

So making a map that goes purely against one of the core ingredients of a game is sound design?

You don't have to have vehicles to do damage. Because moving around as a heavy in T2 was so pathetic did the vehicles stand out. In Tribes heavy offense had no trouble clearing turrets, mines, and wrecking bases which has nothing to do with their bandwidth.

Missile launchers made every grenade besides flares obsolete. The few times you did use conc grenades was usually to break stalemates because someone is sitting deep in a poorly designed base with the flag.

The reason so many T1 people complain about T2 is because it separated the players from eachother. It took away player interaction and replaced them with a buffer. Whether it be turrets or vehicles, or other element the skillsets they built over 3 years of Tribes 1 were unecessarily replaced with elements that made the game easier for 1 man (you know who this is) to play it.

Now, with all that said, I have high hopes for Vengeance. Irrational will do a kick ass job with the single player. Having Mike (KP) on as the multiplayer designer is a blessing. For those who disagree, sit down and have a conversation with him one day. You'll see that he's an incredibly brilliant individual with great ideas and not some Tribes 1 elitist ass some of you make him out to be.

Reply Quote Edit Delete Report

Subject
Comment

;)   ;)   :(   :(   :o   :o   %)   %)   :)   :)   :|   :|   ;P   ;P   X|   X|   :D   :D   More

Login Email   Password Remember Me
If you have a signature set up, it will be automatically appended to your comment.
If you don't already have a Blue's News user account, you can sign up here.
Forgotten your password? Click here.

Email me when this topic is updated.

Special Codes

• b[bold text]b
  • i[italic text]i
  • u[underline text]u
  • -[strikethrough text]-
  • c[code text]c
  • +[bullet point]+
  • q[quote text (indented)]q
  • [quote="Author"]quote text (indented)[/quote]
  • [url=Link]text[/url]
  • r{red text}r
  • g{green text}g
  • b{blue text}b
  • m{maroon text}m
  • s{secret text (shows in the background colour)}s

Forum Rules

1. Disagree all you want but attacks of a personal nature will not be tolerated.
  2. Ethnic slurs and homophobic language will not be tolerated.
  3. Do not post spam, links to warez sites, or instructions on how to obtain pirated software.
  4. Abusing the forums in any manner that could be construed as 'griefing' will not be tolerated.

footer

.. .. ..

Blue's News logo